Howard is a small city located in the Southeast corner of South Dakota. The population is estimated to be around 2000, making it one of the smaller cities in the state. The geography of Howard consists of flat terrain with rolling hills to the east, and it is surrounded by farmland. The climate is mild and temperate, with hot summers and cold winters. See topbbacolleges for information about Aurora County, South Dakota.
The history of Howard dates back to the late 1800s when it was founded as a farming community by settlers from Germany and Scandinavia. In recent years, Howard has become a popular spot for retirees who are looking for a peaceful place to live out their retirement years.
Politics in Howard are dominated by Republicans, who have held control of most local government positions since the 1950s.
The economy in Howard is largely based on agriculture, with local farmers growing corn, soybeans, wheat, and other crops on their land. There are also several businesses in town that provide services such as plumbing, auto repair, and construction work.
Education in Howard is provided by the South Dakota public school system which includes an elementary school with grades K-8 and a high school with grades 9-12. There are also several private schools that offer religious education options as well as advanced academic courses for students who wish to pursue higher education after graduation from high school.
There are many landmarks to explore when visiting Howard such as historic churches dating back to the early 1900s, an old grain elevator built in 1916 that still stands today, and several museums dedicated to preserving local history and culture including one dedicated to Native American heritage.
Population: 1,071. Estimated population in July 2020: 945 (-11.8% change)
Males: 484 (45.2%), Females: 587 (54.8%)
Zip code: 57349
Median resident age: 45.5 years
Median household income: $26,544
Median house value: $31,800
Races in Howard:
- White Non-Hispanic (97.1%)
- Hispanic (1.3%)
- American Indian (0.7%)
Ancestries: German (48.6%), Norwegian (16.6%), Irish (11.5%), English (9.0%), United States (5.5%), Dutch (4.3%).
Elevation: 1572 feet
Land area: 0.9 square miles
Howard, South Dakota is a small city with a population of just over 2,000 people. The cost of living in Howard is slightly lower than the national average. Housing costs are very affordable and there are many apartments available for rent. The median home value is $77,700 and the median rent for a two-bedroom apartment is $633 per month. Utilities and transportation costs are also relatively low compared to other cities in the area. Groceries and healthcare costs are also lower than the national averages. Although there are no major shopping centers or malls in town, there are several smaller stores that offer groceries, clothing, and other items at reasonable prices. There is also a public library located in town which offers free books and access to computers and other technology resources. Overall, Howard provides its residents with an affordable cost of living while still offering access to many amenities that make life enjoyable.
For population 25 years and over in Howard
- High school or higher: 77.4%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 16.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.7%
- Unemployed: 0.8%
- Mean travel time to work: 12.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Howard city
- Never married: 20.1%
- Now married: 51.3%
- Separated: 1.0%
- Widowed: 17.9%
- Divorced: 9.7%
0.7% Foreign born
Population change in the 1990s: -84 (-7.3%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Howard:
- DESMET MEMORIAL HOSP (about 26 miles; DE SMET, SD)
- MADISON COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (about 28 miles; MADISON, SD)
- AVERA QUEEN OF PEACE (about 41 miles; MITCHELL, SD)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Howard:
- BROOKINGS MUNI (about 53 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Abbreviation: BKX)
- HURON REGIONAL (about 55 miles; HURON, SD; Abbreviation: HON)
- JOE FOSS FIELD (about 63 miles; SIOUX FALLS, SD; Abbreviation: FSD)
Other public-use airports nearest to Howard:
- HOWARD MUNI (about 1 miles; HOWARD, SD; Abbreviation: 8D9)
- LAKE PRESTON MUNI (about 26 miles; LAKE PRESTON, SD; Abbreviation: Y34)
- WILDER (about 28 miles; DESMET, SD; Abbreviation: 6E5)
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Howard:
- SOUTH DAKOTA STATE UNIVERSITY (about 57 miles; BROOKINGS, SD; Full-time enrollment: 7,353)
- UNIVERSITY OF SOUTH DAKOTA (about 92 miles; VERMILLION, SD; Full-time enrollment: 6,014)
- NORTHERN STATE UNIVERSITY (about 121 miles; ABERDEEN, SD; Full-time enrollment: 2,356)
- SOUTHWEST STATE UNIVERSITY (about 125 miles; MARSHALL, MN; Full-time enrollment: 3,405)
- WAYNE STATE COLLEGE (about 128 miles; WAYNE, NE; Full-time enrollment: 3,026)
- WESTERN IOWA TECH COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 141 miles; SIOUX CITY, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,639)
- NORTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 144 miles; NORFOLK, NE; Full-time enrollment: 2,732)
Public high school in Howard:
- HOWARD HI SCH (Students: 162; Location: 500 N SECTION LINE; Grades: 09 – 12)
Public primary/middle schools in Howard:
- HOWARD ELEM (Students: 186; Location: 201 N MINNIE ST; Grades: PK – 06)
- HOWARD JR HI (Students: 70; Location: 500 N SECTION LINE; Grades: 07 – 08)
Library in Howard:
- HOWARD PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $21,967; Location: PO BOX A 100 S MAIN; 14,669 books; 16 audio materials; 201 video materials; 36 serial subscriptions)