Have you heard of an emergency passport? This type of document exists to assist travelers in some specific situations. See what they are and how to order!
If you are an international traveler, you know that you have a specific document that you can not miss in your suitcase: your passport. Unless the trip is to one of the countries that do not require a passport, without it you will not cross the border. But we know that unforeseen events can happen and, at some point, we need to move out of Brazil as quickly as possible. At these times, it may be that our passport has expired or we have not even taken the document. And, within normal deadlines, the waiting time to get it in hand is too long.
To avoid an even bigger problem, there is an urgent passport, but only for specific situations. Are you booked and need to know how to take? Then follow the text and follow our tips!😉
Situations for applying for an emergency passport
Before thinking of ordering one, you need to understand which situations fall into this category. After all, nobody wants to have a denied request, right?
The Federal Police are responsible for issuing emergency or normal passports, and it is this that determines these situations. Briefly, the emergency is only in cases that could not be foreseen and were not created by the person requesting the document. Let’s go to them.
- natural disasters;
- armed conflicts;
- need for immediate travel for the health of the person, his spouse or relative to the second degree;
- for the protection of its assets (which does not include the mere loss of tickets, lodging etc);
- by need of work;
- for humanitarian aid;
- interest of the public administration;
- or another emergency situation that could not be foreseen and that the postponement of the trip causes inconvenience to the applicant.
Now, if you purchased your airline ticket for a trip before applying for or renewing your passport and it will not be ready on time, this is not considered an emergency. The loss or damage of your passport by carelessness also does not fit as a valid situation for applying for the urgent passport.
What documents are required?
Firstly, you will need all the documents that are already commonly required to issue a common passport. Are they:
- an identification document (old passport if any, CNH, work card, ID or professional card);
- proof of regular electoral situation;
- reservist certificate (for men);
- request protocol.
In addition to these, you also need a document proving the emergency. In case of illness of relatives or yours, just take the medical certificate. When it comes to job need, you need a company letter. In other cases, you may carry an expert report, a letter or an original document. Be careful not to have your application rejected!
Important information to know
Unlike the ordinary passport, you do not need to schedule to apply for the emergency passport. Just go to a Federal Police service desk with the documents in hand. The GRU tab is issued and paid at the same time.
Attention! Not all PF service stations make the document. See on the agency’s website the nearest point to you.
What is the cost and how long is it valid?
The emergency passport has a value of $ 334.42 and has a shorter validity of only one year. It is also not possible to renew it, so be prepared to get a regular passport after this period.
What is the production time of the emergency passport?
Precisely because it is required in emergency situations, the passport is ready within 24 working hours. Delivery is only made to the holder of the document and in person at the post where the request was made.
Document is NOT accepted in all countries.
Because it is considered to be a “simpler” and less organ-verified document, there are some countries that do not accept the emergency passport. To avoid a vain effort, always remember to renew your passport before it expires so you don’t have to go through this situation.
If you still need to issue the document, contact your country’s consulate to make sure you accept it.
In the case of travel to Europe, we already note that unfortunately the countries that are part of the Schengen Treaty do not accept the entry of Brazilians with emergency passports. According to COUNTRYAAH, they are:
- Czech republic
- 6 Attractions to See in Milan, the Fashion Capital - Are you going to travel to Milan? So get to know the best sights of the city here and set up an amazing itinerary. Milan, one of Italy’s most charming cities , is a world reference when it comes to elegance and taste. No wonder it receives the title of international fashion capital. In addition, it is privileged to be very rich...
- Airplane Ticket for Children - Are you traveling with the little one and you still don’t know how it works and what is the price of a plane ticket for children? So stay on top of the subject in the following text! Taking a family trip is always an unforgettable and fun experience. Living moments of leisure and discovering new places being...
- England Travel Guide - Want to know England? This guide brings together everything you need to know: how to get there, when to go, what to do, how to prepare, and more! England is a unique and charming nation. It is known for being the queen’s land, featuring the famous red phone booths, the Big Ben tower, being the birthplace of...
- What are the Main Tourist Cities of England? - The U.K. has several cities of great cultural, economic and historical importance. Here are the most famous ones to include in your travel guide to England. London London is the most famous English city. It is a globalized metropolis that welcomes tourists and immigrants from around the world. The capital is shrouded in an air of mystery,...
- Main Attractions of London, England - Telephone booths, red double decker buses, cloudy skies … Ah, the charms of London. Want to put together an amazing script for the English capital? So come with us! Totally cosmopolitan, global and always with open arms: these are the key features of London, the capital of England and one of the most important cities in the United Kingdom. During winter, when...